The purpose of this Training Centre is to deliver the vital enabling tools – advanced sensors, data analytics and artificial intelligence – for automated, integrated and optimised mining. Automating a mine requires the integration of all stages of the mining and processing system so that intelligence across the value chain can be automatically generated, delivered and exploited. The Training Centre will train the next generation of engineers and scientists in the development and application of these enabling tools, a current knowledge priority for the mining industry.
The Training Centre comprises three university partners (University of Adelaide, University of South Australia and Curtin University), two mining companies (BHP and OZ Minerals) and 20 mining equipment, technology and services companies and organisations.
We are seeking applicants with a strong background in one or more of the following areas: mining engineering, mineral processing, metallurgy, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, applied geology, physics, computer science, geostatistics, mathematics. More information is provided under the Selection Criteria below. Successful applicants will conduct their research in an integrated, inter-disciplinary environment and will spend a total of 12 months of their research project in one or more of the industry partner companies.
Higher Degree by Research (PhD and MPhil) projects spanning the mining and processing production chain
- HDR 3 Wireless sensor network radio frequency identification for continuously deployable tagging (University of Adelaide), PhD.
- HDR 4 Gold sensing (University of Adelaide), PhD.
- HDR 10 Integration of sensors to maximise crushing plant throughput (University of Adelaide), PhD.
- HDR 14 Rapid updating of resource knowledge with sensor information including structures (University of Adelaide), PhD.
- HDR 16 Linking the resource to down-stream products (University of Adelaide), PhD.
The website with the details on how to submit an Expression of Interest: https://scholarships.adelaide.edu.au/Scholarships/postgraduate-research/faculty-of-engineering-computer-and-mathematical-sciences/arc-0